Monday, February 22, 2010

Updated - Trials and Tribulations (from Rich)

February 21st:We haven't been doing much with the formal training lately, but with the weather we've been having, Chukar has been out and about more than ever. That being said, he has "unlearned" a few things that we had nailed in previous sessions, I attribute this to me slacking on the training...We hit the back yard for some basics. I threw on his collar and grabbed a short lead and off we went. Went through about a dozen iterations of sit/stay/come (vocal, hand signal and whistle for come). He really is picking up the stay command for the first time, I think it has something to do with his maturation, he's 4 months now.After that, I took off the lead and we played some fetch, which has turned into Chuk's favorite game. Of course, he isn't perfect, but I was really surprised at how he is using his nose and eyes to find the object after I throw it, he used to be all eyes. There were a couple of times I threw the dummy out of site and Chukar got really confused, but he would head out with his nose to the ground searching, come back to me and I would point him toward the dummy and he would run back out in that direction. He stuck with it and each time was able to locate the dummy without me walking up to it. The funny part is, we have never really gone through directional commands, but I think both of us are "learning" together and figuring it out.I am going to be heading to Pullman this weekend and we are going to stop off at Squaw Canyon Shooters and have him socialize with Allen's short-hairs and run the farm, it shall be fun. And by the way, Chukar is now 24 pounds, dude is a tank!

No comments: