Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chuk's Quick from Dad's Perspective!

Wow, I had my first traumatic experience as a first-time puppy owner today. To give a bit of background, I recently quit my job, so I am at home with the pup all day as my wife is out at work. Well today was the third day of this arrangement and I decided to clip Chukar's nails. We do this about once a week, so no big deal...Until I am on the third or fourth toe and I hit a quick! Chukar gave out a yelp and blood starts gushing from the wound. Of course, we are in the TV room and all I see is my pup with a bloody foot and blood all over the carpet. I instantly grab him and run off to the bathroom. I set him down and blood is literally spewing all over the place. I strip down to my scibbies to avoid the blood trail and call my wife as I have no clue what to do. She instantly tells me not to worry and heads straight to the drug store for a styptic pencil. In the mean time, the blood has slowed and the bathroom looks like a murder scene. I sat on the toilet trying to console Chukar as he walked around the bathroom wondering what was going on. My wife arrived and the we attempted to apply the pencil, but it didn't seem to work...Eventually the wound closed up and we were able to clean up the bathroom. As it turned out, the wound opened up two more times as we monitored him the remainder of the day. The wound has been closed since 5pm this afternoon, hopefully it doesn't re-open.The incident has definitely made me more "gun-shy" when clipping nails...Next time I will attempt to be even more careful, I do not want to recreate today's experience ever again.

No comments: